Valentine’s On A Budget
This time of the year, we’re bombarded with all sorts of commercial pressure to go out and spend a fortune to show the true merit of our love, when in essence this is done everyday! I know I’m one of those people who hates the commercial feeling of Valentine’s, hence never having ever really celebrated it. This year is going to be a little different though, because well I’ve got ‘bae’, who is very into celebrating this holiday.
For me, the struggle I always have is, it comes in the middle of the month and well let’s face it, right after January (dead) my wallet has lost a few pounds. Seeing as it’s a leap year, and the girls have to take charge, I’ve come up with a few inexpensive ways to spend this day with your loved one.
- Give a full-body massage.
- Write a poem and read it together.
- Pack a sunset picnic and have it either at the beach or Greenpoint park.
- Give dark chocolates (only because it’s healthy BUT I still prefer milk any day) or a good coffee.
- Leave little love notes everywhere in the house/apartment.
- Take a moonlit walk on the beach or Sea Point promenade where the lighting is absolutely lovely at night.
- Snuggle together while watching a romantic movie. Feel free to feed each other grapes or strawberries and chocolate during the movie. (Casablanca, Wuthering Heights, Out of Africa).
- Get good wine(plenty under R50 at local bottle stores), and watch the stars, whilst playing romantic music in the background.
- Take a bath together (use lots of bubbles!).
- Ride a Ferris wheel together (the one at the Waterfront is amazing!).
- Bring home some delicious Chinese food, and light some fragrant candles.
- Fix something or fix up the house just to make your partner happy.
- Write a love letter (yes old school on a piece of paper using a pen not an email).
- Groom yourself, and try to look good for your partner.
- Create a little box with a bunch of your partner’s favorite things inside (biltong, aftershave,etc) .
- Paint each other with flavoured body paint (this one will leave you giggling for days). Be creative!
- Have dinner on the roof, with some candles. This doesn’t work if your roof slopes sharply.
- Declare your love, very publicly (on the radio perhaps).
What would you add as the #19 way to celebrate and save this valentine’s ? Let me know in the comments below!